5.15.2010

"What do . . .

most Nobel Laureates, innovative entrepreneurs, artists and performers, well-adjusted children, happy couples and families, and the most successfully adapted mammals have in common? They play enthusiastically throughout their lives."
~ Stuart Brown, Institute of Play
Now I realize that I most likely need to buckle down more often than continue to play enthusiastically everyday for the rest of my life, but I would like to share an insight as to one of the few reasons I am an elated personage.  
I play as if my age were non-existent.  I believe it exudes a freedom when it comes to creating which is why I love performance and the reason song-writing comes easily.  I believe it boosts our immune systems to ward off almost all disease and illness which is why I can show affection in an office full of the infected yet remain untouched.  I believe it fills a hole of loneliness, which is why I am able to love my family from a distance while remaining calm and complete.  
Responsibility is inevitable.  I believe in strong commitment.  I wake up on time to get to work promptly every day that I have promised to be there.  I miss vacations and fun due to my commitments.  Weird right??  Especially because I am half yellow.  BUT, I believe it is much easier to fulfill responsibilities when my "play time" is used wisely.  
Forget your age and set a time to play.  Do something you would normally find obscure and childish.  
i.e. I have been trying to convince different people for weeks to finger paint in chocolate with me, I have now given up and will be participating in said activity by myself today.  (after I clean and record of course) 
Ready, Set, PLAY 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you still haven't got to do you chocolate finger painting?! SAD! I was totally down for that while I was there....and trust me, it would have been way better than that bon fire we went to! ;)

Sara said...

So. SO. so. True. You know I'd be finger painting up a storm with you if I were there.

Caiti said...

Thank you for your love on my blog. I am thrilled you stumbled across it too - I just checked out your music and think it is beautiful. I would love love love to come hear you play a show! (I live near LA)